We love to hear from you! Please feel free to share with us.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

October 13, 2009

So who isn't loving this rain?! I love it! I slept with my window open last night; one cause I always do. Two it was nice to hear the sound of the wind and the rain, just pelting outside while I was snuggled up, warm and toasty underneath the unfinished whole cloth quilt on my bed....ok, I admit it, its been 8 almost 9 years and it is still not finished. But one day it will be!

The first rain always seems to usher in so many other things. Even this morning my mom was reminding me about how dangerous the first rain is and to make sure I drive particularly slow...A caution both of my parents have been reminding me of since I began driving! But more than that, the rain seems to usher in the feel of the holidays. Everyone is back in school, Halloween will soon be upon us and then the next thing you know, it's Thanksgiving....Christmas... hello 2010!

Christmas trees have always been a favorite tradition in our home. We have always gone down to get our Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving....that is of course after we come home from a crazy morning of early shopping! We would come home to my mom playing the first Christmas album of the year. Out came all of our cherished ornaments as my sister and I carefully placed each one on the tree. And not to forget the lights! The more the merrier!
The completion of our tree comes with the tying of the tree skirt. My mom and I each made one of these, many years ago now, as a mother - daughter project. Hers was a red and green one for our own home, mine a purple and green one so that it would match my grandmother's ornately decorated tree. It's amazing how our memories and decor become a part of our traditions. They become keepsakes.

So to celebrate traditions and holidays, we will be making this tree skirt here in the shop this November, before Thanksgiving and the craziness that the holiday season always brings! So come and sew with us and create some of your own new memories and keepsakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment